Monday, January 19, 2009

tunes from the snowy woods

1. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" The Arcade Fire. Funeral
2. "He Lays in the Reins" Calexico and Iron and Wine. In the Reins
3. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" Neutral Milk Hotel. In the AeroplaneOver the Sea
4. "Kissing the Lipless" The Shins. Chutes Too Narrow
5. "Las Vegas Blush" Ford & Fitzroy. Canyons
6. "Jorge Regula" The Moldy Peaches. The Moldy Peaches
7. "Visions of Johanna" Chris Smither. Leave the Light on
8. "You Can Bring me Flowers" Ray Lamontagne. Till the Sun Turns Black
9. "Whiskey Bottle" Uncle Tupelo. No Depression
10. "Hot Rock" Sleater-Kinney. Hot Rock
11. "Nothing Better" The Postal Service. Give up
12. "Another Lonely Day" Ben Harper. Fight for your Mind
13. "Ashes of American Flags" Wilco. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14. "When I was a Young Girl" Feist. Let it Die
15. "Long as I can See the Light" Ted Hawkins. The Next Hundred Years

--Damien Callahan

6 comments:

  1. Robert Frost has posted a mix? Strange, I thought he would have killed himself by track 7. Am I so desperate for attention that I have to criticize my own mix?

    Yes. Yes I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it. Talking shit about your own entry. Well done, sir, well done.

    But if you're going for sad/contemplative + In the Reins, there are two sadder/contemplativ-er songs on that EP. In descending order, "Dead Man's Will" (death and regret as familiar bedfellows) and "Prison on Route 41" (hereditary feloniousness).

    ReplyDelete
  3. calexico AND iron and wine together? when 2 horrible bands get together will they cancel out and make good music, or simply hasten the decision-making process for those listeners comtemplating suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the mix that I would be afraid to make because I have a penchant for the depressing, yet given the backlash for suicide songs would be so uncool in this contest. So freshman mistake for trying to play the emo card on a blog full of faceless, armchair music snobs. I can't come down hard on a person who's mix has two Tweedy songs. "Mixtape foul" this shit all you want. Like the Ted Hawkins and Ford & Fitzroy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This started off good; I was trekking through snow drifts, then I found myself alone, snowed in, stuck in the woods with nothing but the crushing depression that overwhelmed me until I froze to death, wrapped in my hopelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comment above was mine (Amy aka LostInTranslation) from Audrey's computer. I'm the one that wanted to kill myself after this mix.

    ReplyDelete